Director of Brewing Operations
The Brewing Operations Manager is responsible for organizing, leading and managing the production of beer through the brewing process and cellar operations. This position will provide direct supervision of the Brewing and Cellar teams, as well as serve as a member of the Ninkasi Leadership team.
As a manager at Ninkasi, this position will be responsible for the leadership and management duties of their respective departments. This includes, but is not limited to, hiring, performance management, coaching and general leadership, guidance and budget management.
As member of Ninkasi’s Leadership team you are expected to represent and advocate for your respective departments as well as provide progress reports on department metrics, strategies, and communicate relevant information back to your teams.
All members of the Ninkasi community are expected to positively contribute to our culture of continuous improvement through intentional focus on the following objectives:
- Safest Workplace
- Everyone leaves work as good or better when they arrived.
- Zero Waste
- Relentlessly eliminating waste positively impacts our customers, our environment and ourselves.
- Best Customer Experience
- Our efforts transfer the maximum value to our customers.
At Ninkasi, we take our core values very seriously. All team members are expected to embrace and embody these values each and every day:
- One team.
- Quality output in everything we do.
- Creative pursuit of mastery.
- Integrity in our actions.
- Successful integration of work and life.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the master production schedule is executed based on forecast.
- Assist Production Scheduler with the development of the production schedule and ensure that the Brewing and Cellar teams adheres to the posted schedule.
- Provide feedback to the Production Scheduler as needed to ensure efficient use of brewing equipment, tanks, and other resources.
- Direct activities of the Brewing and Cellar Team:
- Employee/consumer safety and quality expectations are at the forefront of all production activities.
- Ensure cleanliness, organization and maintenance of brewing and cellar facilities/equipment through support of Ninkasi 5s initiative.
- Schedule staff to appropriately meet schedule demands and approve timecards.
- Develop, implement and maintain the use of standard operating procedures.
- Ensure brewing process is conducted in a safe and efficient manner. This includes, but is not limited to, milling, mashing, and lautering, wort boiling, cooling and transferring to fermenters.
- Ensure cellar operations are conducted in a safe and efficient manner. This includes, but is not limited to, tank cleaning, tank filling, beer transfer, carbonation, and yeast management.
- Work with Quality Lab Team on a regular basis to ensure our product meets our standards of the highest quality.
- Work with Purchasing Manager and Sustainability Manager to ensure supply of raw materials and other inventory items such as:
- Safety equipment
- Bulk malt and specialty malts
- Brewing salts and kettle additives
- Chemicals and cleaning supplies
- Parts and equipment
- Continuous Improvement:
- Work to develop strategic project plans with targeted results, measure and evaluate impacts of changes and solidify improvements.
- Work collaboratively to support improvements across departments.
- Maintain active role on internal continuous improvement teams.
- Promote problem solving activities on a regular basis.
- Fulfill general management responsibilities for the Brewing and Cellar Teams, including, but not limited to:
- Maintaining a safe, secure, and legal work environment.
- Hiring and training employees.
- Communicating job expectations and monitoring performance.
- Coaching and providing both positive and constructive feedback to employees on a regular basis.
- Cultivating opportunities for professional growth for your team members.
- Developing, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards.
- Building positive professional relationships with your own team members, members of other Ninkasi departments, vendor partners, and distributor customers.
- Working with colleagues at all levels to address functional challenges and interpersonal conflict constructively.
- Embracing and embodying Ninkasi’s Core Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 4-year degree, or equivalent, in a similar or related field.
- 5+ years in a similar or related field with demonstrated experience managing teams, strategies, and budgets.
- Strong demonstrated experience working with automated brewhouses (50+ BBL) and cellar (500+ BBL) equipment.
- Required skills:
- Proficient user of MS Office Suite.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and positively with diverse personalities.
- Demonstrated management and leadership abilities.
- Preferred Skills:
- Experience working with Proleit Brewmaxx MES software and automation.
- Experience working in a lean manufacturing environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit; walk; stand for long periods of time; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk; and hear.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to drive; reach with hands and arms; lift; carry; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, and move kegs which weigh close to 165 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may he made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This primary work environment consists of usual manufacturing conditions.
This position operates a majority of the time on the production floors. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most of the time. The temperature throughout the facilities will vary, and include non-climate controlled spaces and refrigerated spaces.
Compensation and Benefits
Ninkasi Brewing Company offers competitive wages that will be determined by experience and may include health/vision insurance, monthly merchandise credit, 401k & profit sharing bonus opportunities, paid time off, and a company smart phone. Benefit eligibility is dependent on job classification and hours worked. Complete details are outlined in the Ninkasi Employee Handbook.
Please Note: This Job Description is neither definitive nor restrictive and may be modified to meet changing needs.