JOB TITLE: Laboratory Technician
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager
FLSA POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Hourly Non-Exempt
SHIFT: Primary shift will be 2nd shift 2:00pm-10:00pm with weekend coverage.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Laboratory Technician is responsible for supporting the analytical and microbiological monitoring of the entire beer production process from ingredient acquisition to packaging and distribution. Routine tasks include daily preparation of samples, executing a range of analytical testing, recording results, reporting data to pertinent parties, and preparation of media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Adheres to and advance the “Safety Always” culture of Bell’s Brewery.
• Preparation of analytical standards.
• Obtains samples from various points of the beer production process.
• Sample preparation including centrifugation, filtration, and dilution.
• Conducts sample analysis with Anton Paar DMA 4500, Perkin Elmer gas chromatograph, UV/Vis spectrophotometer, pH meter, dissolved oxygen meters, carbonation meters, and other assigned instrumentation.
• Conducts aseptic and environmental sampling throughout the brewery.
• Preparation of microbiological media, sterile plating, and microscopc analysis analysis for microbial growth.
• Executes DNA extraction in preparation for PCR analysis and runs samples on PCR.
• Ensures the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced.
• Maintains glassware in handling, cleaning, and sterilizing.
• Maintains and operates standard brewing laboratory equipment by following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Assist in maintaining lab sample inventory and dispersion of samples.
• Updates and improves Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Documents information in personal lab notebook, equipment record books, and databases.
• Uses Microsoft Excel to interpret data and conduct trending analysis.
• Uses and maintains complicated multi-linked Excel spreadsheets.
• Records and interprets results to present to senior colleagues.
• Attends and participates in department and interdepartmental meetings.
• Collaborates with colleagues to maintain lab beer inventory.
• Conducts instrument validation through the use of positive and negative control standards.
• Maintains basic laboratory housekeeping.
• Transports samples and supplies between Brewery locations.
• Ability and willingness to maintain flexible work schedules, as weekends are necessary.
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
MATERIALS/MACHINES/EQUIPMENT INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO:
• Brewing laboratory equipment including:
o Gas chromatograph
o Alcolyzer and densitometer
o Carbonation meter
o UV/Vis Spectrophotometer
o Shaker tables
o pH Meter
o Laboratory centrifuge
o Sterile air hood
o Heating block
o Cell disrupter
o Trace oxygen meter
• Cleaning agents, sanitizing agents, microbiological media, organic solvents, corrosive acids and bases, and other hazardous laboratory chemicals, including some carcinogens.
• Company Vehicle.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate with diverse groups.
• Must be organized and able to efficiently multi-task and prioritize.
• Interpersonal skills sufficient to be comfortable working in a team environment with a great deal of interdepartmental coordination.
• Strong Microsoft Excel skills.
• Strong computer skills (MS Office Suite, Access, LIMS).
• The ability to safely handle reagents and other potentially hazardous chemicals.
• An understanding of the critical role of cleaning and sanitation in the brewing process.
• Working knowledge of beer production process including brewing, cellaring, and packaging.
• Comfortable with basic statistics.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
• Recent graduate with a Science degree from an accredited program.
• Experience as a Laboratory Technician and/or substantial beer analysis experience
• Knowledge of brewing biochemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology
• Experience with following:
o Gas chromatography
o Statistical data analysis
o Wet chemistry sample preparation
o UV/Vis spectrophotometry
o 5S methodology
o LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit for long periods of time.
• Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
• Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
• Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 58 lbs.
• Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
• Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Work is primarily performed in a laboratory setting, with frequent trips to operational areas required.
• The employee frequently must work in a clean labor oratory environment.
• The noise level in certain parts of the brewery is occasionally loud (80-90 dB).
• The employee works around high voltage, flame, hot water, and steam.
• The employee works with hazardous materials.
• The employee works near moving mechanical parts.
• The employee works on wet floors and works with wet equipment.
Bell’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer