Join Victory Brewing Company and become part of a truly unique and progressive organization that values employees who exhibit enthusiasm, commitment and the desire to be part of a hard-working and determined team. As a company rooted in European tradition, and dedicated to American ingenuity, Victory Brewing Company looks to hire individuals who value quality above all else, yet are willing to take risks in order to reach the highest potential.
We are seeking an upbeat, forward-thinking Quality Manager to assure and control the highest possible quality standards for all Victory Brewing Company products.
This position will demand excellence of all Quality Assurance employees, develop a community based on high quality, foster the stewardship of VBC’s high standards and exhibit innovative thinking and methods for achieving goals. The Quality Manager will report to the Vice-President of Brewery Operations.
Areas of Accountability:
- Microbiological Quality Assurance (QA) / Quality Control (QC)
- Chemical Analytics
- Yeast Management
- Fermentation Management
- Sensory Analysis
Scope of Tasks:
- Lead the daily activities of the department, including, but not limited to:
- Provide leadership, planning and technical direction to department technicians and interns, and manage department workload.
- Develop and improve existing standards and quality targets, and proactively develop solutions to issues affecting product quality and consistency.
- Assure effective communication throughout department and interdepartmentally, ensuring adequate and appropriate information flow.
- Develop SOPs to elevate process control and minimize variability from operator to operator and assure adherence to those standards is maintained.
- Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of environment and equipment in accordance with company standards.
- Champion VBC safety protocols in all departmental activities, participate in discussions and seek out improvements to VBC safety standards.
- Exhibit an attitude of ownership for the department in order to meet the business needs of VBC, including filling shifts as necessitated by vacations, staffing levels, necessary overtime, &c.
- Work closely with the brewery leadership team (Brewmaster/COO, VP Brewing Ops, and Brewing Manager) to decide direction of product development and target KPI’s. Quality Manager will be a key contributor to the R&D/Product innovation process.
- Be a first responder (on and off shift) to departmental questions, issues and concerns and communicate pertinent follow up information to interdepartmental managers, maintenance.
- Perform annual performance reviews for department technicians and interns.
- Successfully build rapport, respect and camaraderie within the Quality Assurance team, management and interdepartmentally throughout the company to develop and promote internal customer satisfaction.
- Support the Maintenance Department to ensure all equipment is operating safely, at maximum efficiency and maintained to the highest standards.
- Lead acquisition of new members of the Quality Assurance team through interviewing candidates and managing departmental on-boarding and training.
- Support Victory’s environmental initiatives through departmental activities such as ensuring minimal process waste, responsibly routing waste and recyclables, minimizing water and energy consumption and striving to make Victory a “greener” business.
- Provide long-term lab and department growth plans including capital expenditure budget, operating expenses budget and staffing requirements. Work with senior and floor level Brewery Management to support and develop long-term product development and quality goals.
- Ability to smoothly handle multiple demands and rapid change
- Ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Skilled in thinking critically and problem solving
- Willingness to fill in other job duties as necessary
- Five (5) years of experience and demonstrated positive track record managing in a beverage production environment
- Minimum three (3) years brewing industry experience
- Bachelors degree in a science/ technical field, and advanced brewing degree is considered a plus.