JOB TITLE: VP of Sales and Marketing
LOCATION: Kalamazoo, MI
REPORTS TO: CEO
FLSA POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Salaried Exempt
EXTERNAL POSTING DATES: 10/3/2017- 10/22/2017
Our journey began with a 15-gallon soup kettle, a quest for better beer and countless batches of homebrew. The passion and personality that began Bell’s continues today through our breweries and Eccentric Café. We continue to grow and evolve, dedicated to our mission; to be fiercely independent, 100% family owned, deeply rooted to our community, committed to the environment and brewers of inspired beer.
Bell’s thinks beyond the beer in the glass. We exist to create high quality beer, food, and experiences that reflect our culture and passions. We recognize the inherent self-worth of every employee, we practice good stewardship of our resources, and we provide for our community.
SALES & MARKETING PHILOSOPHY:
To steward the Bell’s Brand in the market by driving value to our Stakeholders, Business Partners, & Fans. Deliver consistent growth through passion, creative programs and inspiring education while maintaining a focus on driving quality and upholding high standards in the industry. Sales Vision of Bell’s Brewery to be the preferred supplier to our distributor and retail/restaurant partners.
POSITION SUMMARY: The VP of Sales and Marketing is responsible for conceptualizing and instituting the sales and marketing strategies and targets to meet Bell’s Brewery’s current and future goals and objectives. Responsible for developing and growing the symbiotic relationship and strategic direction of sales and marketing; including but not limited to promotions, programs, and advertising that will promote sales growth and customer satisfaction while upholding Bell’s Brewery eccentric sales and marketing philosophies. Responsible for executing market research, planning, distributor selection, business and market development within new and existing states.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following.
• Adheres to and advances the “Safety Always” culture of Bell’s Brewery, Inc., and is accountable for the safety of their department.
• Successfully builds rapport, respect and camaraderie, both inter- and intra-departmentally, through exceptional coaching, and teambuilding.
• Trains and mentors the department Leaders and Managers.
• Advocates a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
• Conducts annual performance appraisals with all direct reports.
• Coordinates with HR for interviewing and hiring of all new staff.
• Serves as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and participates in key decisions.
• Assists Senior Leadership in formulating the company's future direction and supporting tactical initiatives.
• Facilitates and encourages the symbiotic relationship between sales and marketing to ensure goals and objectives are met.
• Develops annual sales and marketing business plans, strategies, and tactics to drive revenue, increase market share and customer engagement.
• Reviews and leverages data, market research, and customer insights to identify business opportunities and strategies.
• Manages the opening of new markets, distributor selection and ownership changes in existing markets.
• Manages and upholds distributor contracts for compliance and advises the CEO on any potential legal issues.
• Develops, implements, and maintains strategic partnerships and brewery initiatives with distribution and retail partners.
• Works with the Director of Marketing and National Sales Leadership Team to develop and implement on-going training programs for sales and marketing team members to execute with distributors, retailers, fans, and customers on all aspects of Bell’s products and story.
• Reviews and understands all legal restrictions regarding Brewery product in each market and ensures all initiatives are executed within those limitations.
• Attends and assists with festivals and events, as needed.
• Attends and is an active member in appropriate conferences and associations to stay up-to-date on best practices within the industry. Encouraged to seek leadership position, if desired.
• Ability and willingness to maintain flexible work schedules, as weekend and extended workdays are necessary, travel account for 30-40% of duties.
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
• Director of Marketing
• Director of Business Insights
• National Sales Leadership:
o National Key Accounts Manager
o National Sales Operations Manager
o National Field Services Manager
• Distributor Coordinator
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
• MS Office products; including Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point
• Cisco Multi-line Phone System
• General Office Equipment (i.e.: copy, fax, scanner and postage machines)
• Company Vehicle
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Exceptional leadership skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the three tier system
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and maintain effective working relationships with distributors, top level account decision makers, and all internal stakeholders
• Ability to analyze and translate insights data to spot opportunities for brewery growth
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically
• High level of craft beer product knowledge
• Exceptionally oral, analytical, written, and group presentation communication skills and be comfortable addressing diverse groups.
• An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards who will positively represent Bell’s Brewery both internally and externally.
• Strong time management skills with a proven ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work to balance multiple projects and deadlines.
• Strong computer skills necessary to quickly learn Bells’ software systems.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
• Self-directed individual who is a team player
• Strong attention to detail
• Flexibility and adaptability to an ever changing environment
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Sales/Marketing or related field
• 10+ years of experience in a Sales/Marketing role
• A minimum of ten (10) years Management/Leadership of a National Sales Team
• A minimum of five (5) years Management/Leadership of Brand Management Team
• Demonstrated knowledge of the three tier system
• Food and/or beverage industry experience is a plus.
• Understanding of TTB laws.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit for long periods of time, stand, walk, use a computer and other office equipment.
• Occasionally lifting up to 25 pounds
• Must be able to participate in organoleptic assessment of beers.
• The ability to travel via car or airplane on a regular basis.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Work is primarily performed in an office environment with occasional trips to operational areas required.
• Regular visits to bars, restaurants, and other retailers of Bell’s beer are required.
• Attends beer industry conferences.
• Travel is required.
Bell’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer